If you live in a rented home
We maintain the structure, exterior and some interior parts of your home. While we carry out lots of repairs, you have some responsibilities too.
If you are a shared owner or leaseholder
- If you live in a house, you are responsible for all repairs
- If you live in a flat, you are responsible for everything inside the home, plus any land mentioned in the lease.
- We are responsible for maintaining shared and communal areas which you may contribute to via: Service charges
- Responsibility for repairs to maisonettes depends on the design and layout of the building – check your lease for details
For more information see:
How to request a repair
We prioritise repairs depending on the issue and always aim to fix emergency repairs within 24 hours.
Routine repairs can be requested online
Also see: Gas leaks and emergencies
Our full repairs service has resumed, but we are working through a backlog of outstanding routine repairs logged with us prior to lockdown so it may take us longer than usual to deal with non-urgent requests.
If you have requested a repair
We will contact you to let you know when we can carry out the work:
- You'll receive a text or other notification with a provisional booking date
- We'll contact you again closer to the time of your scheduled booking to confirm arrangements – there’s no need for you to get in touch with us unless you need to cancel or re-arrange the appointment for any reason.
- Texts will show the sender as ‘Cottsway’.
Please bear with us during the busy weeks ahead and thanks for your patience and understanding.
We have a legal duty to carry out gas services. If you have a service booked, you must let us into your home so we can carry out this vital safety check. For more information, see: Gas and oil heating
If anyone in your home is experiencing Coronavirus symptoms or self-isolating, please call us in advance on 01993 890000 to rearrange your appointment. Our staff will follow safety procedures when they come to your home.
For more information see our Coronavirus webpage
If you have an emergency, we will carry out work within 24 hours of you reporting the problem to us. An emergency is something which could cause danger to your health or safety, or serious damage to property.
Examples of emergency repairs include:
- Total loss of electrical power (where your supplier is not responsible).
- Unsafe power, lighting, sockets or other electrical fittings.
- Total loss of heating in winter months (between 1 Nov and 30 Apr).
- Making your home secure after a break-in or vandalism – we will need you to have a crime reference number from the police.
- Leaks that you cannot contain or ones affecting electrical fittings
- Dangerous structural faults.
We deal with urgent repairs within five working days of you reporting the problem to us. If we cannot repair there and then, we will order replacement parts and arrange another appointment to finish the work.
Examples of urgent repairs:
- Partial loss of electrical power.
- Faulty electrical smoke detectors, if we fitted them.
- Total loss of hot water.
- Toilet not flushing - where there is only one toilet. If there is more than one, we will treat this as a routine repair.
- Minor water leak.
- Constantly running overflow pipes.
- Door-entry phone not working.
- Loose or detached banister or handrail.
Please call us if you have urgent repair on 01993 890000
We usually respond to the faults or repairs listed below within 20 working days. Sometimes it can take longer if it is something we are planning to do in the future anyway.
Examples of routine repairs
- Loss of heating during summer months (between 1 May to 31 October)
- Brickwork repairs
- Dripping taps
- Extractor fan broken in a kitchen or bathroom
- Repairs to plasterwork
- Loss of one light/power socket
It is more cost effective for us to do some larger repairs, such as replacing windows or gutters, on a whole block or estate at the same time, or street by street, rather than in one or two houses. This may sometimes delay us dealing with a routine fault you have reported. We will tell you if there will be any delay when you report a problem.
You can report a routine repair to us online:
Alternatively, call us on 01993 890000 during office hours.
We make appointments for all non-emergency repairs and offer morning or afternoon time slots. Please ensure you are available for the duration of our planned visit and be aware that sometimes repairs can over-run.
If we can’t keep an appointment with you, we will try to let you know as soon as possible but if we do not give you 24 hours’ notice, we will give you £15. Where possible we’ll immediately rebook the appointment .
If you can’t make the appointment, please contact us as soon as possible to rearrange it. Please give us at least 24 hours’ notice so we can offer the slot to another customer.
We’re starting to use texts rather than letters where we can to contact our customers – this could be to confirm an appointment time or ask those who are having difficulty paying to get in touch so we can help.
You will know the text is from us as ‘Cottsway’ will display as the sender. We may also contact you by email and we’ll still be sending out paper letters for some things, but we wanted to let you know that we’ll be using texts more and more, including when you book routine repairs, with the date and time of your appointment and also a reminder the day before your repair is due and to notify you when our repairs team are on their way to your home.
Unfortunately you’re not able to reply to us via text but if you have any queries, please contact us
Please be aware that severe weather may affect our repairs service. If so, we will update our website and social media accordingly.
Find out what repairs you are responsible for as a tenant.
We work to ensure your home remains in good condition. This includes gas and electrical servicing.
You can make home improvements yourself, but you need to gain permission first.
Find out what to expect if you are moving into a previously vacant home.
Find out what you need to do if you have an issue in your new-build home.
Together we can look after your home and improve your safety.
For the disabled, elderly or those in need of extra support at home