Before you move in, we will do all the essential repairs that we believe are necessary to ensure your home is in a safe, secure, clean and habitable condition.
It is important that you are aware that there may be some non-urgent repairs that need to be completed after you have moved in. We will:
- let you know what the timescales are for these repairs;
- inform you of target dates for major works, such as bathroom and kitchen replacements.
Before you move in:
Electrics, gas, structure
- Carry out electrical and gas safety checks and any repairs needed. You will be given the necessary compliance test certificates.
- Check for any structural defects or damp and the condition of any asbestos in the building, with remedial work where needed.
- Inspect the kitchen to ensure it is in a sound and hygienic condition.
- Provide spaces for your cooker, refrigerator and washing machine (unless a communal laundry room is provided). We will also provide a connection point for your cooker.
- Make sure you have a working toilet, sink and bath or shower. If there is a wet-room style bathroom fitted, this will stay in place.
Windows and doors
- Make sure all doors and windows are working and fit new locks on external doors.
- Ensure that floors are level and safe.
- Ensure there is vinyl flooring in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Remove torn wallpaper and any polystyrene ceiling tiles and make surfaces good.
- Fill any cracks in walls that are more than 6mm wide.
- Provide decoration packs if the decoration standard is particularly poor.
Cleaning and clearance
- Empty cupboards, roof space, sheds and outhouses.
- Clean and wash walls, floors, windows and doors where necessary.
- Clean all kitchen units inside and out and clean and descale the bathroom toilet, sink, bath or shower, and replace the toilet seat/s.
- Clear all rubbish, broken glass and other sharp objects.
- Remove dilapidated sheds and fill in ponds.
- Cut back grass, overgrown shrubs and remove cuttings.
- Repair unsafe paths and uneven ground, to reduce trip hazards, and secure fencing.
This may be done after you have moved in.