Applying for a rented home
- Contact your local council to join the housing register for the area where you want to live.
- Use the local council’s choice-based lettings scheme to look for a home (details at bottom of page).
- Bid for the home you would like.
If your bid is successful
If you are shortlisted for a property, your local council will be in touch to verify your housing application and will then pass your details on to us.
Please note, before moving in, you will need to pay one calendar month's rent in advance.
Pre-tenancy assessment and financial checks
We will call you to:
- Ask for your reference details and complete a pre-tenancy assessment to make sure you are suitable for the property.
- Complete a financial ‘health’ check - you will need to provide bank statements etc.
On approval of both these checks, we will email you our pre-tenancy information pack. If for any reason your application is not approved, we will get in touch and explain why.
You will be invited to view the property as soon as it is ready to let.
Signing the tenancy agreement and associated forms
Once the property is ready to let - and if you want to proceed after your viewing - you will need to:
- Pay one month’s rent in advance
- Sign a copy of the tenancy agreement and some other important sign up documents. If you are joint applicants, both of you will need to sign these documents.
The quickest way to do this is signing all the forms electronically on your computer or mobile device. We will send you more details about this nearer the time.
Although this is our preferred way for you to sign up, there are other options if neither you or your family or friends have online access. Please ask us.
Moving in to your new home
Once we have your signed documents, we will give you the keys to your new home. Due to the current Coronavirus pandemic this is being done via safe distancing guidelines, so we will arrange to fit a key safe at your new home and put the keys in this. We will then give you a code, so you can open the key safe.
We will also email you a copy of the completed tenancy documents. Please keep these in a safe place.
Currently in rented accommodation?
If you are in rented accommodation, it is your responsibility to give your current landlord notice. If you are already a Cottsway tenant, you must give us one month’s written notice – even if you are moving to another of our properties.
If you are already living in one of our rented properties there are various ways for you to move home, either to another Cottsway property, another housing association or local authority. See: Moving home