Bank holiday: We are closed on Friday 29 March and Monday 1 April for the bank holiday weekend. We hope you enjoy the long weekend, but in case of emergencies please call our out-of-hours service on 01993 890000.

Google Translate




Text size





Cottsway's logo Home

Home > My home > My agreement > Tenancy information > Moving home

Moving home

There are various way for you to move home, either to another Cottsway property, another housing association or local authority.

Mutual exchange

Mutual exchange offers a quick and easy way to swap your home with other Cottsway customers or residents from other housing associations and councils. This right is enjoyed by many social housing residents across the UK.

For more information on what's involved and how to find someone to exchange with, see:

Choice Based Lettings

Choice Based Letting systems are the most common way that housing association and council homes are let in the UK.


You will need to register on your local Choice Based Letting system if you are looking to move out of your home. This is run by your local District or Borough Council.

Once you have registered, they will decide if you are eligible for a swap depending on your current housing circumstance.

To find out which Choice Based Letting system you need to register with, see: I want to rent

Moving to another area

If you want to move outside your area, you may be able to register with the local Choice Based Letting scheme where you want to live. This is run by your local District or Borough Council, but some schemes will only accept you if you have a local connection, such as family or work in their area.

You can be registered with more than one Choice Based Letting scheme at the same time.

Downsizing via our Easy Move Scheme

If you currently live in one of our properties and it’s larger than you need, we may be able to help fund your move to a smaller Cottsway home via our Easy Move Scheme.

Successful applicants will receive a £2,500 grant to help towards costs such as removal services, skips, new carpets, the first month’s rent and any recharges incurred at the former property.

If you choose to downsize because your request to install aids and adaptations at your current home has been denied, you may also be eligible for an additional £1,000 grant support.

To ensure that we help those most in need of support we will:

  • Prioritise applications from those most affected by the Government’s spare room subsidy, or who have been refused permission to aids and adaptations in their current home.
  • Not accept applications from those with savings in excess of £5,000.


To register your interest, please call 01993 890000 or contact us

Chat with us