Bank holiday: We are closed on Monday 6 May for the bank holiday weekend. We hope you enjoy the long weekend, but in case of emergencies please call our out-of-hours service on 01993 890000.

Google Translate




Text size





Cottsway's logo Home

Home > My home > Safety in your home > Aids and adaptations

Aids and adaptations

We want you to be able to remain in your home and enjoy living independently for as long as you wish to. If you, or someone in your household, are experiencing difficulties in maintaining independence in your home, you can ask for help with adaptations.

Requesting adaptations

If you want a simple aid or adaptation to your property such as handrails, grab rails and lever taps, please contact us

Major adaptation work

For all other work an occupational therapist referral is required. Please contact your local council using the links at the bottom of the page.

Major work includes:

  • Installing level-access showers
  • Stairlifts
  • Wheelchair-accessible kitchens
  • Large ramps

What happens?

This type of work is means-tested and you may be able to get help to pay for some or all of the costs involved through a Disabled Facilities Grant. This will depend on your financial situation and the work needed.

Every request is prioritised on health and mobility needs and you can expect the following to happen:

  • An occupational therapist will meet with you and will let us know what work they think you need completing.
  • We will check that your home is suitable for an adaption.
  • Sometimes we might jointly decide that a move to another property with existing adaptations might be better for you.
  • If we do not agree that the requested work is suitable, we will let you and the occupational therapist know.

Other mobility information

Chat with us