Bank holiday: We are closed on Monday 6 May for the bank holiday weekend. We hope you enjoy the long weekend, but in case of emergencies please call our out-of-hours service on 01993 890000.

Google Translate




Text size





Cottsway's logo Home

Home > My home > My agreement > Tenancy information > Home insurance

Home insurance

Buildings insurance covers the structure of properties and is provided with all our homes, whether you rent or are a shared owner or leaseholder. We do not provide contents insurance but recommend you take this out. 

Buildings insurance 

We are responsible for buildings insurance for our rented properties and will deal with claims if needed. 

We also arrange buildings insurance for shared owners and leaseholders and you then pay the cost of this to us. The cost depends on the size of your property and you will receive a bill for this every year in April.

If you want to find out more about the buildings insurance for your home, or you need to notify us of a claim: Contact us

Contents insurance

If you are a tenant who rents, you may wish to consider taking out home contents insurance. Cottsway does not provide content insurance as part of your tenancy agreement. 

It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.



Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen.

It is important to protect your belongings and we suggest that you look for providers who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Thistle Insurance Services are a company that specialises in social housing contents insurance and are a preferred supplier of the National Housing Federation. However, there are also other providers that can be found on comparison websites like Money Supermarket or Compare the Market.

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, we have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited who provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy designed for tenants living in social housing.

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

Limits and exclusions apply. A copy of the policy wording is available from the provider.

The National Housing Federation working in partnership with Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Firm Reference Number 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group. Read their Data Protection Privacy Policy.

Chat with us