Abuse and neglect

No one should suffer abuse, or the threat of abuse. If you believe there’s an immediate risk of harm to yourself or someone else, or it is an emergency, you should always call 999.

Abuse, including neglect, can occur anywhere. The person causing the harm may be a stranger but more often than not it is someone known to the victim – someone in a position of trust or power such as a relative, health care professional or neighbour.

If you, or someone you know who is a Cottsway customer, is suffering physical, emotional, sexual or any other kind of abuse or neglect, we will support you.

How we can help

Depending upon the wishes of the victim and the seriousness of the situation, we will:

  • Discuss the situation immediately with you
  • Talk to the victim within 24 hours of receiving the report and investigate fully
  • Work with relevant agencies involved such as the police or the local authority
  • Review the security of the home if necessary
  • Take appropriate legal action against the person causing the abuse
  • Provide support to find alternative accommodation if needed
  • Regularly keep in touch with you until the matter is resolved.

We must respect the wishes of the victim unless they or others are in immediate danger, they are incapable of making a decision themselves, or a criminal offence has been committed.

To report abuse or neglect please Contact us and see our factsheet for more information.

Helping to Make a Stand

We have joined the national Make a Stand campaign to help tackle domestic abuse, which centres around a pledge developed by the Chartered Institute of Housing in partnership with Women’s Aid and the Domestic Abuse Housing Alliance.

We have appointed Domestic Abuse Champions who act as the ‘go-to’ people within our organisation for advice and support, and front-line staff have been trained to provide support to customers who disclose domestic abuse to them.

Find out more about Make a Stand on the CIH website.

Other support services

  • The Survivor’s Handbook (Women’s Aid)Call: 0808 2000 247
    Provides information for women on a wide range of issues, such as housing, money, helping children and legal rights.
  • Action on Elder Abuse
    Call: 0808 808 8141Works to protect older people from abuse and neglect and supporting those experiencing, or at risk of, abuse, as well as raising awareness and advocating effective prevention.
  • Respect
    Call: 0845 122 8606
    Works with domestic violence perpetrators, male victims of domestic violence and young people’s violence in close relationships.
  • Citizens Advice
    Call: 03444 111 444
    Offers free confidential advice online, over the phone or in person whoever you are and whatever your concern.
  • Reducing the risk to domestic abuse
    Call: 0800 731 0055
    Develops and delivers services for those affected by domestic abuse in Oxfordshire.