We are looking at changing our ‘Easy Move’ scheme and would like you to give us your thoughts.
The Easy Move scheme provides financial support to customers who want to move to a smaller Cottsway home. By downsizing, people can make larger homes available for those with bigger families, allowing us to make better use of our housing stock.
Grants are given to successful applicants to cover costs such as removal services, skips and new carpets, as well as covering the first month’s rent on their new home and any recharges incurred from the former property, for example.
We set aside £25,000 each year to fund the scheme. Last year, it helped 10 households to move and there is currently a waiting list of households who have applied to the scheme, which is on hold due to the Coronavirus pandemic and while we review how we run it.
What are we thinking of changing?
We want to ensure that the scheme can help those most in need of support and, to enable us to do this using the funding that is available, we are considering:
- Amending the grant funding to a flat rate of £2,500 (previously applicants were offered £1,500 plus an additional £1000 for each bedroom they downsized).
- Prioritising applications from those most affected by the Government’s spare room subsidy.
- Only supporting those in financial need (customers with savings in excess of £5,000 will no longer be eligible for the scheme).
- Continuing to offer an additional £1,000 grant to those who chose to move to more appropriate accommodation as their request to install aids and adaptations at their current home has been denied.
- Limiting the number of households supported to a maximum of 10 annually from 2021- within our allocated £25,000 budget.
To give your views on these proposed changes, please complete the short online survey before midday on Wednesday 24 June:
If you do not have online access, you can share your opinions by calling us on 01993 890000.
Due to delays with house moves as a result of the pandemic and the need to review how we run this scheme, new applications for Easy Move will not be taken during this financial year. If you have previously registered our interest in this scheme with us, we will be in touch to update you as soon as we can.