Leaseholders and shared owners are responsible for arranging their own electrical safety checks.
Electrical checks for rented properties
Every 5 years we carry out a free electrical test on all our rented properties to make sure wiring and appliances are safe and working correctly.
Tenants have a legal obligation as part of the tenancy agreement to let us in to carry out this work and we will contact you before your service is due to arrange a convenient time to get access to your home.
If any issues are found, we will arrange for repairs or work to be carried out.
For your safety:
- Ensure all your electrical appliances have a British or European safety mark.
- Keep electrics - leads and appliances - away from water.
- Keep electrical appliances clean and in good working order.
- Ensure appliances, such as washing machines, tumble dryers, ovens, hair dryers and portable electric heaters are plugged into a single wall socket.
- Fully unwind cable drum extensions.
- Keep the roof space clear - no possessions should be kept near any solar power equipment.
- Position electrical appliances or lights near papers, curtains or other fabrics.
- Use non-branded or imitation electrical chargers as they may be unsafe.
If your charger gets hot it may be faulty and be a risk.
- Tamper with light switches or power sockets without our permission.
- Change LED bulbs in sealed units yourself. If the LED bulb is an integral part of an enclosed light fitting, we are responsible for its replacement.
- Overload sockets or ‘chain-link’ extension leads - this can cause overheating.