Cirencester Housing has now transferred all of its homes to Cottsway. If you live in one of their properties you should have received a pack with more information. Read about the transfer

Google Translate




Text size





Cottsway's logo Home

Home > My home > My agreement > Tenancy information > Ending a tenancy when someone passes away

Ending a tenancy when someone passes away

Losing a relative or friend is difficult and while grieving for your loss you are often required to deal with their effects and assets. We understand that there are a lot of arrangements to make and the following information aims to help with any concerns you may have.

Regretfully there are some practical matters with which we will need the help of the executor/next of kin. If there is anything you are not sure of, please contact us

Letting us know

Once you've registered the death you should notify us, if you haven't done so already.

You will need to tell us:

  • The name and address of the deceased customer.
  • The date the person died (we will also need a copy of the death certificate).
  • Your name, address and contact details.
  • What your relationship with the customer was. (If you are a friend of the deceased, we will ask you for details of relatives you may know about).
  • The details of the person acting for the estate, this could be you, another family member or the executor.

You can:

What happens next

We will only discuss personal information, such as account balances and ending a tenancy, with the designated person acting for the estate eg. the person named in the will / executor or administrator.

Once notified, we'll then send them more detailed information about the next steps, including what documents we need to see, any forms that must be completed and what will happen with the property. Find out more about ending a tenancy below:

Succession of a Cottsway home

The following people may be able to take over the tenancy if they have been living in the property as their main home:

  • Joint tenants
  • Customer's husband, wife or partner
  • Any family member living in the property as their main home for the 12+ months previous.

To find out more, please contact us

Ending a tenancy

If you wish to end the tenancy, the executor or administrator of the estate must complete a ‘Termination of tenancy’ form – this will be sent out as soon as we are notified of the death. The four-week notice period will then start from the Monday after we receive the completed form.

Moving out

The property should be left in good condition to avoid incurring any further costs:

  • The home and any garden or garage should be clean, tidy and empty of belongings.
  • Remove any non-Cottsway fittings eg carpets, curtains, curtain poles, sheds etc.
  • Repair any damage.

For advice on how to dispose of unwanted furniture, contact your local council.

Rent payments and returning the keys

Full rent is payable until the keys have been returned to us. Any outstanding rent will be charged to the late customer’s estate. If they paid their rent in advance, we will refund this to the customer’s estate.

For more information see: Ending a tenancy

Information about who else you need to notify

For more information on how to register the death, notify government departments and manage financial issues see:

Tell us once service

Tell Us Once is a service offered by many local authorities. It enables you to report a death to most government organisations in one go, rather than having to contact them all individually. The service is free to use and can save you a great deal of time and effort.

NOTE: This service does not notify Cottsway so you must inform us separately.

Other services you need to notify

  • Local authority - to amend council tax and housing benefit (can be done as part of Tell us once service)
  • Department of Work and Pensions – to amend state pension and other benefits (can be done as part of Tell us once service)
  • Phone / broadband provider
  • Water and energy suppliers – if the property has a meter, you will need to give a meter reading.
  • Bank and any home insurer
  • TV licensing

You may also wish to redirect any post via the Post Office

Additional support 

Bereavement support payment

Bereavement Support Payment is money you can get if your husband, wife or civil partner dies. For more information about eligibility and how to claim, visit:

Emotional support

The free Cruse National Helpline offer a listening ear and emotional support to anyone who has lost someone they love or been affected by a bereavement. 

Chat with us