DELAYS TO REPAIRS: We’ve completed many of the outstanding repairs logged with us prior to lockdown and are working hard to clear the remaining backlog. However we are experiencing some shortages in supplies, difficulties recruiting trade staff, and higher than normal levels of sickness absence. Please bear with us – we are completing repairs as quickly as we can. Thank you for your patience. For our latest service information, see our Coronavirus webpage

Couple moving home

Moving home

There are various way for you to move home, either to another Cottsway property, another housing association or local authority.

  • Mutual exchange
    Toggle accordion item

    Mutual exchange offers a quick and easy way to swap your home with other Cottsway customers or residents from other housing associations and councils. This right is enjoyed by many social housing residents across the UK.

    Finding a mutual exchange

    It is up to you to find another resident who would like to swap homes with you.

    To make this as easy as possible, all Cottsway customers have free membership to Homeswapper, the UK’s leading mutual exchange service for social housing residents.

    To search for potential swaps and apply for permission to swap, register via: Homeswapper

    It is important for you to know that we have the right to refuse a mutual exchange.

  • Choice Based Lettings
    Toggle accordion item

    Choice Based Letting systems are the most common way that housing association and council homes are let in the UK.


    You will need to register on your local Choice Based Letting system if you are looking to move out of your home. This is run by your local District or Borough Council.

    Once you have registered, they will decide if you are eligible for a swap depending on your current housing circumstance.

    To find out which Choice Based Letting system you need to register with, see: I want to rent

  • Moving to another area
    Toggle accordion item

    If you want to move outside your area, you may be able to register with the local Choice Based Letting scheme where you want to live. This is run by your local District or Borough Council, but some schemes will only accept you if you have a local connection, such as family or work in their area.

    You can be registered with more than one Choice Based Letting scheme at the same time.

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size