Couple hearing their rights

Landlord Permission

You have the right to enjoy your home in peace and quiet and to live there for as long as stated in your tenancy agreement, provided that you live in the property as your main home and do not break the terms of your tenancy.

It is important that you do ask us for permission before you get a pet, carry out any alterations to the property, run a business from home or take in a lodger because it is part of your agreement. Your rights will depend on the type of tenancy you have. For detailed information, please see your tenancy agreement

If we give you reasonable notice, you must allow our staff and contractors into your home to carry out repairs and safety checks such as gas servicing.

  • Keeping a pet
    Toggle accordion item

    You do not need permission to keep pets like those below, unless you have lots of them:

    • fish
    • reptiles
    • mice
    • hamsters
    • up to three caged birds (not including poultry)

    There are some pets that you do need to ask permission to keep, but we will always try to support your requests where possible, taking into account your needs and ability to care for the animal(s). We will deal with requests on a case-by-case basis, but usually you will be able to keep the following if you have a private, enclosed garden (not shared with your neighbours):

    • dogs and cats – as long as you have an individual entrance to your home. You must ask for permission for each dog or cat.
    • poultry – you may also need to check with your local council.

    If you have a need for an assistance animal that carries out tasks for you, we will consider this as part of the suitability of your home and need for personal independence, like aids and adaptations.

    If your request to keep a pet is declined, you may appeal the decision. To do this, contact us

    We reserve the right to withdraw permission if a pet becomes a nuisance to neighbours, for example dogs barking, cockerels crowing or owners not cleaning up behind them.

    Ask for permission

  • Home alterations
    Toggle accordion item

    You have the right to make some minor improvements to your home, but you need to seek permission from us first.

    For more information see: Home alterations

  • Running a business from home
    Toggle accordion item

    It is great to know that our customers are enterprising and want to run a business from home. We encourage this and wherever possible we want to be able to give you permission to start up, or run, a small business from your home address. We need to make sure that your neighbours are not inconvenienced and that your business does not cause nuisance or hazard.

    Ask for permission

  • Lodgers
    Toggle accordion item

    A lodger is someone who lives with you in your home and who pays you rent. Family members and partners who live with you are not considered lodgers. You can have a lodger provided your home does not become overcrowded.

    • You cannot let the whole of your home to someone else.
    • You must still live at the address.
    • You are responsible for the behaviour of anyone you invite into your home, including a lodger.  

    If you receive benefits you must tell the relevant agency about the money you receive as it may affect your claim.

    Ask for permission

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size
ReadSpeaker ReadSpeaker
click to activate