Abuse, including neglect, can occur anywhere. The person causing the harm may be a stranger but more often than not it is someone known to the victim – someone in a position of trust or power such as a relative, health care professional or neighbour.
Read one customer's story on how domestic abuse can happen to anyone - and how Cottsway helped resolve the situation.
If you, or someone you know who is a Cottsway customer, is suffering physical, emotional, sexual or any other kind of abuse, neglect or coercive behaviour, we will support you.
How we can help
Depending upon the wishes of the victim and the seriousness of the situation, we will:
- Discuss the situation immediately with you
- Talk to the victim within 24 hours of receiving the report and investigate fully
- Work with relevant agencies involved such as the police or the local authority
- Review the security of the home if necessary
- Take appropriate legal action against the person causing the abuse
- Provide support to find alternative accommodation if needed
- Regularly keep in touch with you until the matter is resolved.
We must respect the wishes of the victim unless they or others are in immediate danger, they are incapable of making a decision themselves, or a criminal offence has been committed.
To report abuse or neglect please contact us
- The Survivor’s Handbook (Women’s Aid)
0808 2000 247
Provides information for women on a wide range of issues, such as housing, money, helping children and legal rights.
- Action on Elder Abuse
0808 808 8141
Works to protect older people from abuse and neglect and supporting those experiencing, or at risk of, abuse, as well as raising awareness and advocating effective prevention.
0845 122 8606
Works with domestic violence perpetrators, male victims of domestic violence and young people’s violence in close relationships.
- Citizens Advice
0800 144 8848
Offers free confidential advice online, over the phone or in person whoever you are and whatever your concern.
- Reducing the risk to domestic abuse
0800 731 0055
Develops and delivers services for those affected by domestic abuse in Oxfordshire.
We’ve signed up to the national ‘Make a Stand’ campaign created by the Chartered Institute of Housing. Find out more.